Wednesday 8 July 2020

A different kind of lockdown...it could only happen to me.


On our recent visit the the garden festival at Chaumont-sur-Loire we also took time to visit some of the art installations within the chateau itself. As we were leaving I remembered that they also had items in the kitchens in the basement just as you exit the chateau. Pauline was a bit in front of me and I tried to get her attention to remind her but she didn't hear me so as the door was open I thought I'd run down and see if it was worth a visit - I deemed  it not worth dragging her back down to see it so headed back up the stairs to find her. Half way up I was met by the guide who was in charge of this part of the chateau bringing some other visitors down and he informed me that there was the maximum number of people allowed so as to lock the door to restrict others.
I let him know I wanted to leave as my wife was outside but he said he was sorry but he had to give / finish the tour before reopening the door. No way was he budging! So I capitulated as I thought there was not a lot to see and it wouldn't take long - how wrong was I - the first exhibit was explained in great detail as only a French guide can (sorry dear French friends) and if they were all are going to be this long I could be there a long time! So I tried to explain that my dear wife would be wondering where I was but he was having none of it. Half way through exhibit two I'd had enough and had a 'face-off' with him - it would take him all of two minutes to climb the stairs and let me out. Thankfully some of the other visitors agreed and he relented and let me escape or I may have been there still. Of course Pauline was not the least put out and was probably happy to have had some time to herself!

2 comments:

  1. Brings back memories of the abbey and the first time we actually met... Hell that guy could talk about every brick in that abbey and then when he read EVERY film Yul Brynner had been in, in the pitch black graveyard it was the end!!! Give a Frenchman a mic and stand back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin.... donkey, hind AND front legs, ears and tail!

    ReplyDelete