On our way through the Yorkshire Dales we stopped in on the Holy Tinity church in Wensley home of Wensleydale cheese (the village, not the church)
The church dates from around 1240 built during the reign of Henry III. Only part of the church survives from this period with the nave aisles and north porch being 14th century modifications.
These elaborately carved pews date from 16th century,during Henry VIII's reign.
These enclosed pews back on to what was the private 17th century pews of the Scrope family of Bolton. Bolton Castle,dating from 1379 sits north of the village.
They had a long association with the church...it is a pity they are not still around as it apparently needs £1.5M spent on repairs...though can't quite see where!
Looking back from the chancel towards the church organ.
This is a 'reliquary' which is supposed to hold the bones or objects associated with saints.
The church's hexagonal baptismal font dates from 1678 and lay undiscovered under a pile of rubble in the tower until 1928.